My girlfriend was spending all of my money on urbanoutfitters.com. She would browse the site night and day looking for things to buy. So I decided to put a stop to that by blocking the urbanoutfitters.com site via my Linksys router that we both use to access the Internet. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Login to your router by going to the IP address of it in your web browser. By default, it’s usually http://220.127.116.11
2. Click Access Restrictions.
3. In the drop down at the top of the screen, you can select which policy number you want to use. In this example, it’s 2 because I am already using 1 for a different policy.
4. Give the policy a name. I have named it Block Urban Outfitters in this example.
5. Click the Edit List of PCs button. It will bring up a window where you can specify which computers/connections to apply this rule to. You can do it by the network card MAC address or the IP address of the computer you wish to block. I prefer to use MAC address, because the IP address may change from day to day. The MAC address is usually listed on the network card. Click Save Settings when you’re done.
5. In the Website Blocking by URL Address, you can type the web address you would like to block. In my example, I have typed http://www.urbanoutfitters.com.
Here is a screen shot of all my settings.
You can have up to 4 web addresses blocked per policy. If you want more, just create another policy. You can also specify keywords for a web site and block viewing of web sites with certain words.
6. Be sure to click Save Settings when you are done.
Now the woman will have to find another site to spend all my money on. :)