You can block text messages from a specific number or contact on your Android device with a third-party solution. Just follow these steps.
Blocking Text Messages
Note: These steps are for the stock “Messaging” app included with Android 5. Some carriers may include a different app for messaging.
- Open “Messaging“.
- Press the “Menu” icon located at the upper-right corner.
- Select “Blacklist“.
- Set “Blacklist” to “On“, then select the plus (+) to add a person to block.
- Type the number you wsih to block. Check “Block incoming calls” and/or “Block incoming messages” as desired, then select “OK“.
- If you wish to remove a number from Blacklist, select the number, then choose “Delete“.
If your messaging app does not offer a Blacklist option, use Handcent.
- Download and install Handcent SMS for your text messaging needs. It’s available in the Google Play store.
- Since you’ll be using Handcent for text messaging, disable the notifications for your current text messaging app. Otherwise, you’ll get double notifications for text messages.
- Open Handcent then select the “Menu” icon at the upper left corner of the screen, then select the gear in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Select “Security & privacy” > “Manage blacklist“.
- Tap the plus (+) icon to add the phone number you wish to block. You can choose one from your contacts, call logs, or input the number directly.
Now all of the text messages from that person will be blocked and not visible in the Handcent app. You won’t get notifications you’ve received a message from the person either. If you ever want to unblock the person, return to the “Manage blacklist” screen, tap it, then select “Unblacklist“.
Some users have reported that the app “Private Space” works well for them.
Sending an Automatic Reply
If you want to let a person know they have been blocked, you will need to download and install SwiftReply. SwiftReply will allow you to setup an auto reply for specific Contacts.
- Ensure the mobile number you wish to block is listed in your Contacts.
- Open “SwiftReply” and tap the plus icon (+) to make a new auto-reply.
- Type the name you would like to use for the reply and the text you would like to send to the person.
- Scroll down and select “Enable User Filter” > “Contacts“.
- Tap “Add” and choose the people in your Contacts list that you would like to receive the reply. Tap “Done” when your list is complete.
- Tap “Save“, then tap “Off” to turn the auto-reply on.
The specified people will now receive your message automatically and Handcent will block them from your view.
Alternately, some Android users have said they use the “Text Bouncer” app to accomplish all of the above in one app. However, I could not get it to work, and there are a few comments that have similar stories about the app being problematic. Feel free to give it a try though.