Today, my project was setting up and connecting Microsoft Outlook 2016 with my Gmail account. Here are the steps I took to get it all working.
- Login to Gmail.
- Select Settings Gear at the top right corner of the page and select “Settings“.
- Select the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab.
- Select “Enable IMAP“.
- Select any other options as desired then scroll to the bottom and select “Save Changes” when you are done.
Microsoft Outlook Steps
- Click the “File” menu.
- At the top where it says “Account Information“, click the dropdown menu.
- Select “Add Account…”
- Fill in the name as you would like to appear in your email messages, your Gmail address, and the password to your Gmail account. Select “Next” when you’re done.
Note: If you use 2-factor authentication with your Google account, be sure to create an app password to use with Outlook.
- Outlook will communicate with the Google Mail server. This may take a few minutes.
- You should be successfully connected and your Gmail will now work through Outlook. Select “Finish” to start using it.