I noticed a problem with my widgets on my Android device where the app widgets were not showing up. I had all of the standard widgets like Music, News & Weather, and Power Control, but no option for Facebook, Twitter, or any other apps I installed.
It turns out that this is a feature of Android where widgets are blocked for apps that are installed to the SD card. This was my problem since I had just moved all of my apps the SD card to save space.
To resolve this issue, the app had to be moved back to the memory of the phone using these steps:
- Open the “Settings” app.
- Select “Apps“.
On many Samsung devices, you would select “Applications” > “Application manager“.
These selections may vary between devices depending on the version of the Android OS you are running.
- Select the app that isn’t showing up in the widgets list.
- Tap the “Storage“ button.
- Select “Change“.
- Switch the selection from “SD card” to “Internal storage“.
Repeat these steps for any other apps you are experiencing the same issue with.
Sometimes the Home screen data may get corrupted. You will have to clear the Home screen data and start fresh. These steps will reset your icons on the Home screen back to defaults.
- Open “Settings“.
- Select “Apps” or “Applications“.
- One some devices, choose “Manage applications“.
- Select the menu icon or “More” option at the upper-right corner of the screen, then choose “Show system“.
- This step may be tricky. You have to find the name of the app that runs the Home screen. On my Galaxy S7, it’s called “TouchWiz“. On the Moto X, it’s called “Launcher“. On the Nexus 5X, it’s called “Nexus 5X Home screen“. Try to find the one that applies to your device, then select it.
- Select “Storage“.
- Choose “Clear Data“.
The Home screen should be restored, along with the ability to use widgets.