If you’re a Windows admin using a Windows 10 or 8 computer, you may want to install Active Directory Users and Computers as well as other Active Directory applications. These tools are not installed by default, but here’s how to get them.
- Download and install one of the following depending on your version of Windows:
- Right-click the Start button and choose “Control Panel“. (Note: In some configurations, you may be able to skip to step 9.)
- Select “Programs“.
- From the “Programs and Features” section, select “Turn Windows features on or off“.
- Scroll down and expand the “Remote Server Administration Tools” section.
- Expand “Role Administration Tools“.
- Expand “AD DS and AD LDS Tools“.
- Ensure that “AD DS Tools” is checked, then select “OK“.
- You should have an option for “Administrative Tools” on the Start menu. From there, select any of the Active Directory tools.