If you’re a Windows admin using a Microsoft Windows 10 or 8 computer, you may want to install Active Directory Users and Computers as well as other Active Directory applications. These tools are not installed by default, but here’s how to get them.
Note: You can install Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 only on the full release of Windows Professional or Windows Enterprise. Otherwise you will receive a “This update does not qualify for your computer.” message when you try to install it.
- Download and install one of the following depending on your version of Windows:
- Right-click the Start button and choose “Control Panel“. (Note: In some configurations, you may be able to skip to step 9.)
- Select “Programs“.
- From the “Programs and Features” section, select “Turn Windows features on or off“.
- Scroll down and expand the “Remote Server Administration Tools” section.
- Expand “Role Administration Tools“.
- Expand “AD DS and AD LDS Tools“.
- Ensure that “AD DS Tools” is checked, then select “OK“.
- You should have an option for “Administrative Tools” on the Start menu. From there, select any of the Active Directory tools. In newer versions of windows 10 (or at least mine), select the “Start” button then type “active directory”, and it should show up.