QR codes are scannable patterns that store lots of data. They allow users to access information instantly. Simply point your Android camera at the QR code, and your device will immediately decrypt the pattern and turn it into a human-readable link, text, or image. Unfortunately, your Android terminal may sometimes fail to scan QR codes. Let’s explore what you can do to fix the problem.
Why Won’t My Phone Camera Read QR Codes?
Press and Hold the Screen
Android 9 and newer feature an in-built QR code scanner thanks to Google Lens. All you need to do is launch the Camera app and point it at the QR code. If pointing your camera at the code doesn’t work, press and hold the QR code screen area. Wait for a few seconds and check if your device scanned the code. If the issue persists, press the Google Lens button.
Enable QR Code Scanner Manually
If the issue persists, manually activate the QR code scanning option, and check if your device recognizes the code.
- Open the Camera app, and tap More. Then, go to Settings, and activate Google Lens suggestions.
- If you use a Samsung device and enable the QR code scanner in the Samsung Internet browser, use our guide to get the job done.
By the way, go to Settings, select System, and tap System Update. Install the latest Android OS version on your phone, and check if the issue is gone.
Check Your Camera Lens and Lighting
- Use a soft cloth to wipe off any smudges or dirt from the lens.
- If you’re in a low lighting environment, turn on the light. Bright light is essential when scanning QR codes.
- Additionally, ensure no shadows are falling on the code.
- Use a plain background to avoid confusing your camera’s auto-focus.
- Make sure your phone’s camera is not tilted at an angle.
- Don’t hold your device too close or too far away from the QR code.
Use a Third-Party QR Code Scanner
If the issue persists, launch the Play Store app and download a third-party QR code scanner app. There are plenty of options available in the Store. Download one of the most popular apps, and use it to scan your QR code.
To sum up, if your Android device won’t scan QR codes, go to Camera Settings, and enable the QR code scanner option. Additionally, press and hold the QR code screen area or the Google Lens button. If the issue persists, download a QR code scanner from the Play Store. How often do you use your Android device to scan QR codes? Share your thoughts in the comments below.