Because of the accessibility of both personal and public information on the internet, sharing documents and other forms of media has become incredibly convenient. With programs like Apple’s iCloud, sharing your photos and videos couldn’t get any easier.
What is iCloud?
iCloud is a program developed by Apple in which the user may upload, store, and share files with other users using the cloud. One of the popular ways people use iCloud is to share photos. Not only can you send one photo, you can share your entire photo library.
What is the “Cloud”?
Cloud storage has become incredibly popular over the years as technology has moved from internal hardware-based to internet-accessed storage. The “cloud” is a data storage system that stores data in servers in set locations. This data is transferred to servers via the internet.
Using cloud storage can speed up data access and range of access. It also acts as a backup for moments when technology crashes. As long as you backed up your files to the cloud, you can download it to another device.
This means as long as you give another user permission to access a file, no matter where they are, they can pull up that data.
How Do I Access iCloud?
iOS systems automatically include iCloud. Activate the program by logging in with your Apple ID. You’ll be asked to create a new ID or log in with an existing one when you first set up your Apple product.
You can access iCloud features anytime.
- Go to Settings and tap your name.
- There will be an iCloud storage indicator on the following screen.
- Underneath the indicator is a list of applications currently accessed by iCloud.
- Toggle on and off the applications you would like linked to iCloud.
- Click the Apple icon in the top left hand corner of your computer screen.
- Select “System Preferences.”
- Choose the iCloud icon.
- Once you have selected iCloud, a new screen will appear that displays which features on your Mac will be stored through Apple’s cloud storage feature. It will also display the amount of space you have left at the bottom.
- Select which programs you would like to sync with iCloud.
If you need to log out of your Apple ID, select “Sign Out” on the same screen.
Sharing Photos Using iCloud “Shared Albums”
Shared Albums for iCloud works on permission-based sharing. It allows you to privately share photo albums with anyone you’d like. Invitees can then upload their own photos/videos to the album and comment and “like” pictures. Up to 100 people can be invited and 5,000 photos uploaded.
On an iPhone, there are a couple of ways in which you can share photos. One is through iCloud Photo Sharing. Apple has renamed iCloud Photo Sharing to Shared Photo Library on iOS12.
- Make sure your photos are activated for iCloud.
- Go to the iCloud access screen in Settings.
- Making sure “Photos” is turned on.
- If it is not, click on the icon.
- This will take you to a screen where you can enable iCloud sharing.
Now, you can go ahead and share the photo album.
- Go to Photos and select “Albums” at the bottom of the screen.
- Add a new Shared Album by pressing the ‘+’ icon and give it a name.
- Select “Next”.
- Choose who you would like to invite to view the album. You can either enter email addresses or select contacts from your phone.
- Tap Create.
- In Shared Album settings, go to “People.” If you would like invitees to upload their own photos and videos, select “Subscribers Can Post.”
Those you have invited will receive a notification via email or phone notifications.
The process of sharing an album is fairly similar on a Mac.
- Make sure your photos are activated for iCloud.
- Go to the Photo app.
- Navigate to Photos > Preferences.
- Under the iCloud tab, select the photo sharing checkbox.
Once the photos are enabled you can share photos through iCloud.
- Bring up the photos you want to send and share.
- In the toolbar, look for the sharing button (an arrow) and choose “Shared Albums.”
- You will be prompted to select “New Shared Album” and give it a name.
- In the same window, enter the iCloud email addresses of the people you would like to invite.
- Select “Create.”
You can also send individual photos from your iPhone using an iCloud link.
- Select the images you would like to share.
- Tap the “Share” button.
- A push-in window will appear from the bottom of the screen. Select “Copy iCloud Link.”
- This will copy a link into your pasteboard. Now, paste the link into an email, text, or other message.
This method works well when you are sending the photo to someone who does not use an Apple device.
If you thought all those unwanted pictures of someone’s dog was hitting your phone before, just wait until they discover iCloud! Jokes aside, sharing photos through iCloud is a great way to bring people together. It also gives an alternative solution for those who cannot afford a photographer at an event. Instead, your guests become the photographers! Encourage them to take pictures and upload them to your shared album.