It can be really frustrating having to fumble around in your pocket or wallet trying to find the right card to pay with. For the last few years, different company’s have been working on, and releasing, contactless payment options.
This makes it so you can pull out your phone, hold it close to the payment terminal, and be on your merry way. The big three – Apple, Samsung, and Google – have all released options for their perspective platforms. And just about every recently-launched phone, including the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2, have this as an option.
What is Samsung Pay?
Put plainly, Samsung Pay is Samsung’s option for contactless payments using nothing more than your cell phone. While Apple Pay and Google Pay take advantage of NFC, Samsung includes this but has an extra trick up its sleeve. Samsung Pay also takes advantage of Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST).
If you look at the back of your credit or debit card, you’ll notice the black strip at the top. This is a magnetic strip is swiped through the machine and registers the payment as complete. Well, with MST, your Samsung Galaxy device emulates the magnetic strip, removing the need to actually swipe a card through the terminal.
Samsung Pay is the most widely-accepted contactless payment method and it’s all because of the combination of MST and NFC. No matter where you shop, you will be able to use Samsung Pay, even if other digital payment options are not available.
Extra Samsung Pay features
There’s another nifty feature of Samsung Pay that you may want to take advantage of. In addition to using this to pay for your items while out and about, Samsung Pay can also be used to store rewards cards from different retailers. So even if you don’t have a card, or don’t remember your phone number, you can have rewards cards with you at all times. Rack up those points from wherever.
The fun doesn’t stop there, however, if you want to use Samsung Pay. There are also a plethora of rewards to choose from, including getting Cash Back for payments at certain retailers. You can use Samsung Pay to purchase goods online, but you can also try to find local retailers to take advantage of any promotions.
Set up Samsung Pay
As you would expect, it’s not like all of your debit and credit card information are stored in Samsung Pay automatically. So you’ll need to go through the process of getting everything set up. Here’s how to set up Samsung Pay on the Galaxy Z Fold 2:
- Open the Samsung Pay app on your Z Fold 2.
- Tap Get Started.
- Enter a new PIN to use with Samsung Pay.
- Enter the PIN again to confirm.
- You can also use your fingerprint scanner at a store, but the PIN code serves as the backup.
- Tap Add Cards to add your payment cards.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Tap Done.
If you have multiple payment cards, you’ll want to repeat the process to get them all added. It’s also important to note that while the majority of banks are supported by Samsung Pay, your bank may require additional verification.
Using Samsung Pay with Galaxy Z Fold 2
After you have added a payment method to Samsung Pay, then you can start using it immediately. In order to make a payment with Samsung Pay while you’re shopping, it’s pretty easy and straight forward.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your home screen or lock screen.
- Select the debit or credit card you wish to use.
- If you want to use a different card that has been added to Samsung Pay, swipe left or right and select it.
- Tap the PIN button at the bottom of the screen below your card.
- If you have registered your fingerprint scanner, tap the sensor with your finger.
- Place the back of the phone near the terminal or card machine. You will have 30 seconds to tap the terminal or you will have to repeat the above steps to activate Samsung Pay.
- Enter your card’s PIN if prompted on the payment terminal.
That’s it! Using Samsung Pay on the Galaxy Z Fold 2 or any other compatible Samsung device is easy as pie. Now you can leave your debit and credit cards behind, knowing that your information is secure but still at the ready at all times.