Safe Mode allows you to start your Moto X smartphone with just the base software and settings. This allows you to access the Android OS if it will not start otherwise. It’s the perfect solution for instances when you install something that prevents the device from starting properly.
To turn on Safe Mode or turn it off, follow these steps.
Enable Safe Mode
- Turn the Moto X off.
- Press and hold the “Power” button for about two seconds to turn the Moto X back on.
- When the Moto X logo appears, press and hold the “Volume Down” button.
- Continue to hold “Volume Down” until the device completely starts. If you did everything correctly, you should see the words “Safe Mode” appear in the lower-left corner of the Home screen.
While you’re in Safe Mode, only the base necessary software is loaded. Some features may not be available.
Disable Safe Mode
- Press and hold the “Power” button until a menu appears.
- Select “Power off” on the menu.
The Moto X will shut completely down. Now when you start the device again, it should no longer be in Safe Mode.
Note: Do not select Restart. Power off completely.
Why is my Moto X stuck in Safe Mode no matter what?
Make sure that the “Volume Down” button is not stuck in some way. If you have a case for your device, you may want to try removing the case to see if that is the cause.
Another thing that could cause your device to get stuck in Safe Mode is a bad app. Uninstall any recently installed apps to see if that clears up the problem.