The Samsung Secure Folder secures sensitive information such as notes, apps, files, photos, and videos. It is protected by Samsung Knox which offers multi-layered security with military-grade encryption. The encrypted folder protects from data breaches and malicious attacks. Furthermore, the folder data is kept safe with the help of a biometric lock or passcode. The Samsung Secure Folder is ideal for people who prefer to keep personal, work, or leisure files separate from other files on their phone.
Creating a Secure Folder
In order to benefit from the Samsung Secure Folder, you have to make one, first.
The Samsung Secure Folder app must be installed on older Samsung smartphone models running on Android Version 7.0: Nougat or higher. Simply download the app from the Play Store. Follow the onscreen instructions to set up Secure Folder. Samsung Secure Folder is pre-installed on Samsung smartphones starting with the Android Version 8.1: Oreo.
To set up a secure folder on newer Samsung smartphones:
- Navigate to Settings > Lock screen and security. This may appear as “Biometrics and security.”
- Select “Secure Folder” to proceed to the login/sign-up page.
- After entering account details and verifying identity with Samsung Pass, you can choose your desired security method. This could either be a password, pin, or pattern.
- Confirm the lock method a second time.
- A shortcut icon of Samsung Secure Folder will appear on the apps menu and home screen.
Placing Files into Secure Folder
You can place files into the Secure Folder once setup is complete.
From Third-Party Apps
To place documents, photos, videos, or audio files in the folder:
- Select “Add Files” in the Secure Folder app.
- Choose the type of file that has to be added.
- Once the files have been marked, select “Done” to proceed.
- A window will appear that allows the user to either copy or move the files to Secure Folder.
From Samsung Apps
Files can be directly placed into Secure Folder from apps made by Samsung such as Gallery, Contacts, My Files, and Voice Recorder.
- Open the app from which you want to add files and select the files.
- Select the “More Options” icon, which will appear as three vertical dots on the top right corner of the app.
- Many options will appear, including the “Move to Secure Folder” option. Choose this option to complete the transfer.
Placing Apps into Secure Folder
Similar to files, apps can also be moved to Secure Folder.
- Open Secure Folder and select “Add apps”.
- Next, select the apps you want to move to the Secure Folder.
- Select “Add” in the top right corner to complete the process.
When an app has not been installed on the device, it can be directly installed into Secure Folder from the Play Store.
Placing Backup Files into the Secure Folder
Samsung Secure Folder allows you to protect your phone’s data through back up and restore features as well.
Backing up data
Important data stored in the Samsung Secure Folder app can be secured by creating a backup.
- Open the app and select the three dots in the top right corner.
- Click “Settings” and select “Backup and Restore.”
- The “Add Account” window will appear. Enter your Samsung account details to sign-in. Agree to all terms to proceed.
- Click on “Back up Secure Folder data.” This option which will appear on the main page of Backup and Restore.
Content like contacts, documents, videos, photos, music, apps, and calendars can be selected for backup. Auto backup can be turned on or off on the same page.
- To restore data, go to the main page of Backup and Restore.
- Select the “Restore” option.
- Choose the device you wish to restore, along with the content.
- Tap the “Restore” button to complete the process.
Deleting Backup Data
- Navigate to the Backup and Restore main page.
- Tap “Delete Secure Folder backup data.”
- Select the device and click “Delete” to finish the process.
Hiding the Secure Folder Icon
The Samsung Secure Folder app can be hidden from the home screen for additional security.
- Under Settings, choose the “Lock screen and security” option or “Biometrics and security” option.
- Select “Secure Folder” and turn off the button next to the “Show Secure Folder” option.
- Click “Hide” to finish.
Alternatively, hiding the folder can be done through the Secure Folder app.
- Open the Secure Folder app.
- Navigate to Settings > Show Secure Folder. Opt to hide the folder.
Furthermore, the icon and name of the app can be changed by selecting “Customize icon” below the “Settings” option.
Resetting Passcode for Secure Folder
If you forget the passcode for Secure Folder, you can reset it with the help of the Samsung account.
- Navigate to the Secure Folder app and select “Forgot pin”, “Forgot pattern” or “Forgot password”.
- Next, select “Reset” and sign in with your Samsung account.
- Select the preferred lock method.
- Once the lock type is finalized, enter the new passcode. Re-enter it to finish the process.
In case both Samsung account and Samsung Secure Lock passwords are forgotten, Samsung Support can provide assistance.
Samsung Secure Folder is a smart way to keep your data safe. Its solid security and storage customizations make setting up a folder for yourself an easy decision to make.