We show you how to enable or disable the email notification box that appears in the Windows Taskbar whenever you receive a new message in Microsoft Outlook.
Note: This post is to enable or disable the notification box. For the sound notification, see our post Turn Mail Notification Sound On/Off in Outlook 2016
Fix 1: Outlook Setting
- In Outlook, select the “File” menu.
- Select “Options“.
- Choose the “Mail” option in the left pane.
- Scroll down to the “Message arrival” section. Check the “Display a Desktop Alert” box if you want a notification box to appear when you receive an email. Uncheck it if you don’t want a notification box to appear. You can also choose “Show an envelope icon in the taskbar” if you wish.
Fix 2 – Windows Notification Settings
- Right-click a blank area on the taskbar, then select “Taskbar settings“.
- Scroll down to the area that says “Notification area” and choose the “Select which icons appear on the taskbar“.
- Look for “Microsoft Outlook” entry. There may be several, but look for the one that says “Microsoft Outlook – You have new unread e-mail messages.” and toggle it to the “On” position to enable it. Turn it “Off” to disable it.