If you have forgotten the password to a personal folder file in Microsoft Outlook 2013, there may be some hope for recovering it. Just give these steps a try.
These steps may not work if the password for your personal folder is 7 characters or longer. Give this a try though.
- Close completely out of Outlook.
- Download PstPassword from Nirsoft.
- Open the ZIP file, then launch PstPassword.exe.
- Drag the PST file you are trying to unlock the password for to the PstPassword window. PST files are usually located under “C:\Users\OfficePower\Documents\Outlook Files“.
- The columns “Password1“, “Password2“, and “Password3” will populate with possible passwords. Open Outlook and give them a try. If the password doesn’t work, right-click the line in PstPassword and select “Get More Passwords” to get a list of other possible passwords.
If your password is 6 characters or less, this utility will probably be helpful. I have seen it recover some passwords that are 7 or 8 characters long if they are not very complex.
If you used a complex password with more than 8 characters, you are probably out of luck as far as password recovery is concerned.