With the appearance of Zoom, Skype for Business is headed to the technology graveyard. For many, this is not news. For the last few years, Skype has been waning in its popularity.Microsoft has already sounded the death-toll for the world of Skype as we know it. They recently announced that it would continue supporting Skype for Business only until 2024.
Prepare for the Transition
Aware of this, most companies are now planning to transition from Skype to Zoom. A few other companies plan to run Zoom and Microsoft teams collaboratively. If you have many contacts stored on Skype, how can you export this extensive list into Zoom? It’s simple. There are several options to transfer your Skype contacts to Zoom successfully. It is relatively easy to download your list of contacts stored on Skype. Then you’ll need to export them into a file that facilitates a Zoom functionality.
How to Move Contacts to Zoom from Skype
Remember that the Skype system stores all contacts in a central server to facilitate business-related collaboration and communication. Because of this, it is easy to make this transition before Skype for Business is no longer supported. You can follow the steps below.
Option 1: Export Contacts
- Sign in to Skype.
- Go to the Skype window and tap into the “Contacts” menu.
- Choose “Advanced,” then the “Back up Your Contacts to a file.”
- A window will appear now appear which allows you to save the file.
- Change extension to *.txt.
All the contacts, plus user names and other information supplied on the contacts’ Skype profile will now appear. Moreover, all the previously blocked accounts will become available in the file. In case there are some entries in the file that you do not wish to export to the new account, you are free to delete them at this point.
- Now, move back to the “Contacts” menu.
- Go to “Advanced” then “Restore File Contacts.”
- Once you complete this, all your contacts will receive a request for permission to add them to the new list.
- In case some contacts do not respond, you can right-click into their username as indicated in the list before resending the invitation. You may include a personalized message with this recent request.
Option 2: Account Settings
- Sign in to your Skype account.
- Scroll down on the “My Account” page.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Then “Preferences.”
- Click on “Export Contacts.”
- Now you can download the file containing the transferred contacts.
Option 3: Windows versus Mac
If you are using a device like a Windows and Mac, you can also try this method. Since the “Zoom contacts directory” carries the internal users on the same Zoom account, you will find these neatly organized in one section: The All contacts area. In this setting, you may add other external users of Zoom, including those from Skype, as contacts simply by supplying their email address.
As soon as you receive their approval of your contact request, you will immediately be able to share files and images, chat or even meet. It does not also matter if you added an email address that is associated with another account (like Skype); they will still get an invitation allowing them to join Zoom contacts.
Option 4: Using Linux
You may also link a Linux device to your Zoom account by following these simple steps:
- Sign in to your “Zoom Client” account.
- Tap on “Contacts.”
- Click on the “Add” icon.
- Tap on “Add Contact.”
- Enter the email address. Feed these one- by- one.
- Tap the “Add Contact.”
- If there are other relevant contacts, repeat the process.
Alternatively, you may add several contacts simultaneously by tapping the “Copy Invitation” then sending this through email.
The emergence of Zoom into the ultra-modern world of remote work has presented a fantastic opportunity for companies that wish to migrate from Skype for Business. Despite its ‘youthful’ nature, Zoom has fast evolved into a reputable product that offers fantastic video conferencing solutions. And with Zoom’s recently introduced PSTN (supported phone feature) their experience has become even better. As we prepare to say goodbye to Skype for Business, it is time to migrate your contacts conveniently to Zoom.