Occasionally, you may need to export your Microsoft Teams chat messages. This is not a simple and straightforward process but, with a bit of patience, you’ll be able to export your chat history.
This guide is divided into two parts. In the first part, we’ll show you three quick workarounds that you can use to get the job done. The second part is dedicated to the official method, namely the Microsoft Teams Export Page.
How to Export Your Microsoft Teams Chat History
Copy the Messages
If your chat history is not that long, you can simply copy the conversation and paste it into a text editor such as WordPad, Notepad, or Word. This workaround is perfect if you need to quickly export a few chat messages.
However, if you want to export a long chat history with hundreds of messages, you need to use a more efficient method.
Another workaround is to “export” the conversation messages as screenshots. This method doesn’t take as much time as the first one. Moreover, you can capture multiple messages on the same screenshot. Save the screenshots as .PNG or .JPG files and you’re done.
Use the GoFullPage Extension
There’s a browser extension that you can use to take a screenshot of your entire conversation. Here’s what you need to do if you want to use this method:
- Go to https://teams.microsoft.com/ and use the web version of Teams.
- Install the GoFullPage browser extension.
You can then launch the extension and capture your chat history.
Save as PDF
Alternatively, you can open Teams in your browser and select the conversation you’re interested in. Right-click on the conversation you just selected, and click on Print → Print as PDF.
Save the file on your computer. The PDF document you just created also includes all the images from that conversation. However, you can’t use this method to copy the entire conversation.
Share to Outlook
You also have the option to share a single chat to Outlook. To do that, select the chat you want to export, click on More options (the three dots), and then Share to Outlook.
Use the Export Page
Microsoft Teams has a dedicated Export Page that you can use to export chat messages and media files. The only downside to this method is that you need to wait a few minutes until you can download your messages and media files.
- Log in to the Export page (use your Microsoft Account).
- Select Chat history if you want to export only your chat messages.
- Hit the Submit request button. Click on Continue when prompted.
- Check the status of the export page under Available Exports (top corner).
- A download link will appear on the screen when your messages and files are ready to go.
- Click the Download button to download and export your Teams chat history on your computer.
And this is how you can export your Microsoft chat history.