No longer need that application that’s been sitting on your computer for months? You can learn how to uninstall applications from your MacOS computer using these steps.
Option 1 – Drag & Drop
- From the Finder, select “Go” > “Applications“.
- If the app is in a folder, open the folder and run the uninstaller if one exists. Otherwise, rag and drop the app icon or folder to the trash.
- If prompted, enter credentials for your administrator account.
Option 2 – From Terminal
- From the Finder, select “Go” > “Utilities“.
- Open the “Terminal” application.
- Type the following then press “Enter“:
sudo rm -rf /pathtothe/appfile
rm -rf /Applications/GarageBand.app
Q: Can I be assured all traces of the program is removed when using these methods?
A: Not always. Some programs will still show up in places like the “Library” folder. You may want to look to documentation on the software maker’s website for more information on completely removing their app.