Zoom technologies offer video teleconferencing, VoIP calls, and chat services. It has become a popular video conferencing tool since the beginning of the Coronavirus pandemic. With social distancing adopted as a method to fight the spread of the virus and more people staying home, Zoom’s customers have multiplied!
Though Zoom is used mostly for video calls, not all discussions require the use of video. Some things are not urgent and do not require an immediate response. For such cases, you can use Zoom Chat.
Zoom Chat provides the same chatting tools as any other messaging app. You can chat individually or in groups, having multiple people send messages at the same time. You can always respond to the messages when you are free.
Due to the nature of chats, you might not want to be notified of every message you receive. This could be because you are busy at work and do not want any unnecessary distractions, or perhaps, you just want to take a nap. However, you still want to be notified of messages with content that is important to you. Zoom Chat has just the solution: Keyword Notifications.
Zoom Download Options
Before you start taking advantage of Zoom’s Keyword Notifications feature, you will, of course, have to download the application.
Zoom offers both a free version and a paid version, which anyone can use depending on their needs. Zoom Chat is available with both options. Zoom meetings for more than two persons on the free version have a maximum duration of 40 minutes. The paid version does not have a cap on the duration of the call.
If you want to hold a group meeting with multiple people that will be longer than 40 minutes, then you will have to hold multiple meetings. When one meeting times out, you and your group can move on to the next meeting.
This process can be potentially annoying, but that’s the free version. Alternatively, you can simply upgrade to the paid version.
Zoom Keyword Notifications
Keyword Notifications is a feature of Zoom Chat that allows its users to be notified of messages when predefined keywords are used and specific people send them.
For example, say you belong to your class group chat. However, you are busy with an assignment and so do not have time to read all the messages coming in on the chat. You still want to know whenever anyone mentions the assignment you are working on, or whenever your course lecturer sends a message. You can achieve this by turning on the keyword notifications feature.
To turn on keyword notifications on Zoom Chat, follow the steps below.
The first step is to log in to your Zoom desktop client. If it is not already installed on your computer, visit www.zoom.us to download and install it.
- Click on the Zoom icon to sign in. You will have to register if you do not already have an account.
- If you have an account, click on Log in. Input your email and login password. Click Next.
Zoom will take you to the home page.
- On the home page, you will see meeting tabs: Start with video and Start without video. You will also see tabs to join a meeting, schedule a meeting, or share your screen in a meeting. If you look at the bottom of the page, you will notice that the Home tab is highlighted in blue.
- At the top of the page, at the top right, click on Settings. You will notice a gear mesh icon beside the settings.
- When you click on Settings, a pop-out will appear. By default, General on the top left of the page will be selected, which is the general settings for Zoom.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the options on the left of the page.
- Click on Instant Messaging. It is the last of the options.
You will be redirected to your instant messaging page. The instant messaging page is divided into two parts, Instant Messaging and Notifications Settings.
- Go to Notifications Settings.
- Under it, click on Keywords. To the right you will see the label Receive Notifications for: and a box to input keywords.
In the space provided, type the words you want. For multiple words, separate them with a comma. The keywords are not case sensitive. You can also include the name of contacts for whom you wish to be notified when they send a message.
After entering the keywords, click Done.
You have successfully set up your keywords for your Zoom Chat. The next time anyone mentions those words in a message, you will receive a notification.