Since you’re usually out and about, you typically work from your laptop since you’re able to take it without wherever you go. But, when you’re home, you have the opportunity to connect it to a bigger monitor.
This makes working a lot easier if you have easily view info on two different windows without having to squint. You could use your laptop when the lid semi-closed, but some can find that annoying and would prefer to have their laptop work with the lid closed.
How to Use a Windows 10 Laptop with the Lid Closed
Since, by default, Windows 10 puts your laptop to sleep when you close the lid, you’ll need to go into its settings to make some changes.
If you ever change your mind and want to go back to the default settings, you can follow these same steps and choose the setting that best fits your needs at the moment.
To get things started:
- Right-click on the battery icon
- Click on Power options (If you can’ t see this option, choose Show Hidden Icons and right-click on the battery icon or go to Control Panel, followed by Hardware and sound > Power Options)
- Click on Choose what closing the lid does.
- To the right of the When I close the lid option, you’ll see two drop-down menus for On battery and Plugged in.
- Choose Do nothing from the drop-down.
Once you’ve followed all these steps, don’t forget to click on Save changes.
If you’re not going to use your laptop for a while, don’t forget to go through the steps to shut it down. If you just close the lid, you may forget it’s still on and expose it to overheating.