You may notice an exclamation mark next to podcast items in iTunes on the “My Podcasts” screen. This usually indicates that there is some type of a problem with the podcast.
The exclamation mark could specifically mean any of the following:
- There is a problem with your connection to the Internet and the podcast could not be downloaded.
- There is a problem with the podcast feed.
- The folder where your podcasts were stored was moved or deleted.
- The “iTunes Media folder location” has changed in “Advanced Preferences”.
- In older versions, you may have too many episodes that you haven’t listened to.
Follow these troubleshooting steps to solve this problem:
1. Attempt to download another podcast. If you don’t have an exclamation mark next to other podcast items and can download new episodes successfully, there is likely a problem with the podcast feed and you should try to download the episode another time.
2. If you cannot download any podcasts at all, check your Internet connection and make sure there isn’t anything such as a firewall blocking iTunes ability to access the connection.
3. If you’re Internet connection is working fine and you still cannot download any new podcasts, the cause of the exclamation mark is likely related to where iTunes stores and reads your podcast files. Select the “iTunes” menu > “Preferences…” > “Advanced“. Check to see if the “iTunes Media Folder location” is set to the correct folder. Also make sure that the folder exists.
Once you have fixed the media folder location, click “OK” to return to iTunes, then attempt to download your podcasts again. If you still have problems downloading, you may have to delete some episodes first by right-clicking and selecting “Delete“. You can then attempt to re-download episodes. You can do this from the “Old Episodes” option in the upper-right corner.
iTunes 10 & lower
If you are using iTunes 10 or versions lower, the exclamation mark may display because you have too many podcast episodes in the list that you haven’t listened to. You can often solve this issue by following these steps:
1. While viewing the list of podcast episodes, click the exclamation mark located toward the upper-left corner.
2. A prompt will appear asking if you would like to resume updated the podcast. Click Yes.
3. Now click Refresh, and the newer podcast episodes should appear in the list and allow you to download them.
I hope this tutorial has helped you solve your issue with downloading podcasts in iTunes. Please share your experience with this problem in the comments section below.