Whether you’ve forgotten the password or PIN to your Apple iPhone or iPad or somehow a lock has appeared on the center of the screen and you can’t get past it, you’ll have to reset and restore the device. Follow these steps to get your iOS device working again.
Note: This process will wipe all data from your iOS device. You may be able to sync most of the data back once you have restored it. You can perform these steps using any PC with iTunes installed even if you have not synced the device with the PC before.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to any computer that has iTunes installed.
- Perform these steps depending on the device you own:
- iPhone 8 and higher: Quickly press and release “Volume Up“, “Volume Down“, then press and hold the “Power/Side” button.
- iPhone 7: Press and hold the “Power/Side” and “Volume Down” buttons.
- Devices older than iPhone 7: Press and hold the “Home” and “Sleep/Wake” buttons simultaneously until you see the recovery screen appear.
- iTunes should provide a message that your device is connected in Recovery Mode. Select the “Restore” option.
When the process is finished, your iPhone or iPad should be available again without the need for a password.
Can I somehow perform these steps without a computer?
A computer with iTunes installed is needed to perform a restore. You can use a friend’s computer or take it to an authorize Apple dealer near you if you don’t have access to a computer with iTunes.