Apple iOS10 has changed the lock screen to require use of the Home button instead of sliding to unlock the screen. There is currently no setting in iOS10 that allows you to switch this. However, if you’re fairly versed in computing, you can use the following hack to bring back the “Slide to Unlock” screen on the iPhone and iPad.
Note: Please be careful if you intend to follow these steps as doing the wrong thing can damage your device.
- Connect and sync your iOS device with iTunes on your computer.
- Download and install iBackupBot on your computer.
- Disable automatic syncing in iTunes by going to “Edit” > “Preferences” > “Devices” and check “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically“.
- Close iTunes and launch “iBackupBot“.
- Connect your device to the computer using the USB cable. iBackupBot should detect the device.
- Select the latest backup you have on the left side.
- Expand “System Files” > “Home Domain” > “Library” > “Preferences“.
- Open the “com.apple.springboard.plist” file by double-clicking on it. Click “Cancel” on the dialog that appears afterwards.
- Scroll down to the bottom and place this line right before the </dict> tag:
- Close and save the file.
- Check the box next to the line that says “Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist“, then click the “Restore” button at the top bar.
- Your device will now go through a restore process. When it restarts, the battery meter will appear at the top right portion of the screen.