How do you install APK files from other places outside of the Google Play app to your Android device? We’ve got the steps for you.
Option 1 – From the Device
- Enable installation of APK files by enabling “Unknown sources”. Use one of these steps to enable the option depending on your device:
- “Settings” > “Applications” > “Unknown sources“.
- “Settings” > “Security” > “Unknown sources“.
- Download the APK file to the device, or copy it via a USB connection to your PC.
- Do one of the following:
- Swipe down the notification bar using two fingers, then tap the file that you downloaded.
- Open a file manager interface. You can usually go into “Settings” > “Storage” > “Explore“, Some devices may offer an app called “File Manager“, “Files“, or “My Files“.
- Navigate to the file and open it. You will be prompted to proceed with the installation
Option 2 – From ADB Command Line
Use one of these commands as desired.
- “adb install appname.apk” = Standard install
- “adb install -r appname.apk” = Reinstall
- “adb install -s appname.apk” = Install to SD Card
- “adb uninstall appname.apk” = Uninstall