You may receive a message popping up on certain web sites when using Microsoft IE that says “The security certificate has expired or is not yet valid“. Try these steps to solve it.
Fix 1 – Check Date and Time
- Double-click on the time in the lower right corner on the Taskbar, select “Date and time settings“.
- Ensure the time, date, and time zone are set correctly.
If the time keeps switching on your computer, it may need a new CMOS battery. You can usually replace them yourself. They usually are the same type of battery as you would use in a watch.
Fix 2 – Install the Certificate
Be sure you know what you’re doing before performing these steps.
- Select “Continue to this website (not recommended)” if you trust the connection to the website.
- Select the area of the Address Bar that says “Certificate Invalid“.
- Select “View certificates“.
- Walk through the wizard to install the certificate. You may have to manually browse to place it in the “Trusted Root Certification Authorities“.