You always want to make sure you’re using the latest version of Apple’s iOS on the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. There are two ways you can perform an upgrade.
Option 1 – From Device
- Ensure that your device is fully charged and the Wi-Fi connection is enabled and connected.
- From a home screen, select “Settings“.
- Select “General“.
- Tap “Software update“.
- The device will check to see if there is a newer version of iOS available. If there isn’t, it will say “Your software is up to date.”. If there is a new version available, you can select “Download and Install“.
If the “Download and Install” button is grayed out, you may not have enough space in the memory of your device. You will need to delete music, movies or pictures to free enough space to proceed.
- “Agree” to the Terms and Conditions.
- Tap “OK” on the power source warning. The update will download and complete the installation.
Option 2 – Using iTunes
- Connect your device to your computer and launch iTunes.
- Select the icon for your device in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Choose “Summary” on the left pane.
- Click “Check for Update“.
- If you are on the latest version of iOS for your device, a dialog will appear that says the version is current. Otherwise, you should receive a prompt that a new version is available, and you can select “Download and Update“.
Follow the prompts to complete the upgrade to your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
Why don’t I have an option to update on my device?
You might have the latest version of the iOS software installed already. Check the History of iOS Wikipedia page to see what the latest version of the iOS software is for your device.