If your Droid Maxx becomes unresponsive, it may be time to soft reset or hard reset the device. A soft reset basically just “reboots” the device, while a hard reset (or factory reset) wipes most data to start clean. If your Droid Maxx is just locked up, it’s always best to start with a soft reset first before starting clean.
How to Soft Reset the Droid Maxx
- To Soft Rest your Droid Maxx, simply hold down the “Power” button for about seven to ten seconds. At this point, the device should simply shut off. Press the “Power” button again to turn it back on.
How to Hard Reset the Droid Maxx from the Phone Menu
If your phone is still functional, try using these steps to perform a hard reset.
This will return the phone to factory settings, removing any accounts and files that are on the phone, so make sure to backup any data before doing this.
- Press your “Apps” button and go to “Settings“.
- Press “Backup & Reset“.
- Press “Factory Data Reset“.
- Press “Reset Phone“.
How to Hard Reset the Droid Maxx Using Hardware Buttons
If your phone isn’t functioning at all, you’ll probably have to perform a hard reset using buttons on the phone.
- Turn the device off completely by holding down the “Power” button for about seven to ten seconds.
- With the device turned off, press and hold the “Volume Down” button and the “Power” button for 2-3 seconds, and then release both buttons at the same time.
- Use the volume down button to scroll to “Recovery” and press the “Volume Up” button to select. Note that if you wait too long on this screen, the phone will reboot automatically and you’ll have to try start over. If you selected Recovery properly, you should see the Motorola logo and then the Android “distress” logo.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button for 10-15 seconds, and then while still holding the volume up button, press and then release the power button.
- Use the “Volume Down” button to scroll down to “Wipe Data/ Factory Reset” and press the Power button to select.
- Use the “Volume Down” button to scroll to “Yes” and press the “Power” button to select.
- After the phone performs the factory reset, you’ll press the “Power” button to confirm a reboot.
After this sequence, the phone will reboot and will be back to the factory defaults.
This post applies to the MOTXT1080M model Motorola Droid Maxx smartphone.