The Redmi K20 Pro and Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro shook up the smartphone market by integrating flagship-level specs in a phone that costs around $495. The Redmi K20 Pro was made for the Asian market, and Xiaomi rebranded the same phone and called it the Mi 9T Pro for the European and American markets. They both have the same specs and features like Snapdragon 855 with Adreno 640 GPU, triple camera setup, FHD+ super AMOLED display, pop-up selfie camera, 4000mAh battery with Quick Charge up to 27W, and an in-display fingerprint scanner.
With all these features, why would anyone want to install TWRP on their phone? The answer is to gain root access, install custom ROMs, customize, and personalize the phone. MIUI may not be everyone’s cup of tea, so TWRP will solve that problem. TWRP is open-source, and even the current firmware of the phone can be changed.
Preparing to Integreate TWRP
Before proceeding with the installation of TWRP on Redmi K20 Pro/Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro, there are a few prerequisite steps that need to be followed.
- Backup of the entire phone should be made, in case of any data loss or complications during the installation process.
- The Redmi K20 Pro/Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro bootloader needs to be unlocked as the TWRP cannot be installed without the unlocked bootloader. Xiaomi is notorious for making this process time consuming, and it could take more than a week, so make sure that this is done beforehand.
- Make sure that USB debugging is enabled in the developer mode. To activate developer mode, tap on the build number a few times in a row, and a message will pop-up saying the mode is activated.
- To avoid bricking the phone during the installation process, keep the charge of the phone’s battery over 60%.
- Install the latest USB drivers for the phone. Use the same software that was used to unlock the bootloader.
- Download the TWRP recovery file from https://forum.xda-developers.com/k20-pro/development/recovery-unofficial… and Platform tools from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools. Download the right file for the available device.
Installation guide for TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Mi 9T/Redmi K20 Pro
The phone needs to be booted into FastBoot mode. To do that, switch off the device and press and hold the power and volume down key till the FastBoot logo can be seen and connect the device to a computer using the USB-C cable provided with the phone.
Once the Platform tools zip file and the TWRP image file is downloaded, extract the Platform tools folder from the zip file and move the TWRP image file to the extracted Platform tools folder.
Once the device is connected, and the files are extracted, open the platform tools folder and anywhere on folder press shift and right-click to open the folder in PowerShell.
Now in the PowerShell, type the command ‘flashboot devices’ to check if the device is detected in FlashBoot mode.
After confirming the phone detection by the computer in flashboot mode, now the TWRP recovery image needs to be flashed on the phone. To do that, type the command ‘fastboot flash recovery (name of the image file).img’ and then press enter.
Now that the flashing of TWRP on the phone is complete, now the phone needs to boot into TWRP recovery. Type the command ‘fastboot boot (name of the image file).img’, press enter, and then the phone will boot into TWRP recovery mode. That’s it, the phone is now integrated with TWRP and can be used to install custom ROMs and grant root access to the phone. Other benefits can also be enjoyed.