The technology used to connect Android devices as the Nexus 9, 6, and 5 to a television or projector is changing rapidly. It has created some confusion about what is supported. Can you use MHL or Miracast technology with your Nexus device?
Here are some important things to note:
- By default, Miracast (The technology that works with the Amazon Fire TV) is not available on the Nexus 9, 6, or 5 devices. However, you can root your Nexus , then enable Miracast.
- MHL is not supported and will not work at all.
- If you’re not a person who likes to root your Android, your only option is to use a Chromecast.
If you are using a TV that supports Chromecast, or a projector or TV with an Chromecast adapter connected to the HDMI port, you can use these steps:
- Ensure the Chromecast and Nexus device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Install the Chromecast app on your device.
- Follow the wizard to setup your device with your TV.
- Open an app that supports Chromecast, then choose the “Cast” button from the app.
This post applies to the XT1103, XT1100, LG-D821 models of Nexus devices