You can enable, disable or change notification settings for messages you receive in Hangout for Android. Just follow these steps.
- Open the “Hangouts” app.
- From the screen where you have your list of friends, tap the “Menu” button, located at the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Tap “Settings“.
- Choose the account you are using (usually your email address).
- In the “Notifications” section, select the “Messages” option.
- From this screen, you have a few options to control the chat notifications:
- Notifications – Controls whether you receive a notification at all. Uncheck this box if you don’t want any type of notification including sound or a message in the notification bar. Check it if you’ll be using some type of notification.
- Sound – Set a custom ringtone or silence the notification sound.
- Vibrate – Device will vibrate when a message arrives.
- Back out of the Messages settings, and you can choose “Google Voice SMS” and/or “Google Voice voicemail” to set the notification sound for text messages (if you use that feature in Hangouts).
Be aware of the settings in the “Video Calls” section as well. You’ll have the same Notifications, Sound and Vibrate options as above for video calls.