Skype may sometimes throw a mysterious breakpoint error shortly after users update the app. This error may also occur when users launch Skype, sign out of their account, or shut down their computers.
The error message reads as follows: “A breakpoint has been reached. Error 0x80000003 occurred in the application at location 0x0112429c. Click on OK to terminate the program“. Let’s see how you can fix it.
Troubleshooting Skype Exception Breakpoint Errors on PC
Update the App
Breakpoint errors sometimes plague new Skype app releases. But Microsoft is usually quick to release a hotfix to patch the problem. Check if there’s a newer Skype app version available and install it on your device. Maybe the company already fixed this problem in the latest Skype version.
Clear the Cache
Try clearing your Skype cache and check if this solution irons out the error.
- Quit Skype completely. Launch the Task Manager, click on the Processes tab. Right-click on each Skype-related process and select End task.
- Type%appdata%\microsoft in the Windows Search bar. Hit Enter.
- Locate the Skype for Desktop folder. Right-click on it and rename it to Skype for Desktop_old.
- Launch Skype again and repeat the action that initially triggered the breakpoint error.
By the way, if this error pops up when you shut down your computer, quit Skype before you power off your machine. Right-click on Skype in the system tray and select Quit. That should help you avoid this annoying error message.
Tweak the OS Shutdown Behavior
You can tweak your Registry so as to speed up the shutdown process. Some users suggested this solution worked for them.
- Type regedit in the Search bar and launch the Registry Editor.
- Then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.
- Locate the AutoEndTasks key and double-click on it. Set its value to zero to disable it.
- If the key doesn’t exist, right-click in the right pane and create a new DWORD key. Name it AutoEndTasks and set its value to zero.
Check Your Drive
Corrupted files on your drive may also trigger breakpoint errors. Repair your drive and fix corrupted or damaged Windows files to troubleshoot the problem.
- Launch Command Prompt with admin rights.
- Enter the following commands and press Enter after each one:
- chkdsk /r command
- sfc /scannow
- Close Command Prompt, restart your computer, launch Skype, and check if the error is gone.
Breakpoint errors may occur due to outdated app versions or corrupted OS files. Clearing your app cache may help to reduce the frequency of these errors. Did you manage to fix your Skype breakpoint errors? Let us know in the comments below.