As more people are switching over to Signal, the number of reported bugs is also increasing. We already talked about how to fix bad video quality issues, or what to do if you can’t find your contacts on Signal. But many users also reported that Signal is not ringing when someone’s calling them. Let’s explore how you can fix this annoying glitch on Android and iOS.
What to Do if Signal Calls Won’t Ring on Android
- Make sure your device is not offline. If your phone is not connected to the Internet when you receive a call on Signal, it won’t ring. If you have a firewall or a third-party app that’s limiting Signal’s access to the Internet, disable the respective apps. Switch to a different internet connection, and check if the issue is gone.
- Disable Do Not Disturb mode. Your terminal won’t ring as long as this option is on. Swipe down with two fingers and disable DND Mode.
- Disable battery-saving settings. If your battery is running low, the Battery Saver feature may prevent Signal from ringing to extend your battery life. Go to Settings, select Battery, and disable your battery-saving feature.
- Update Signal. Make sure you’re running the latest Signal app version on your terminal. Launch the Google Play Store app, search for Signal, and hit the Update button if available. If this issue affects only certain contacts, ask them to update Signal as well. Have them call you again and check if the app rings this time.
- Check your date and time settings. If your terminal is using incorrect date and time settings, it may fail to connect to Signal’s servers. Go to Settings, select Date and time, and let Android set your date and time settings automatically.
- Clear the app cache. Go to Android Settings, select Apps, and tap All apps. Go to Signal, select Storage, and hit the Clear cache button.
- Check your privacy settings. Make sure Signal is allowed to access your contacts. Go to Android Settings, select Privacy, and go to the Permission manager. Let Signal access your list of contacts.
- Enable WiFi Calling. If your phone model supports this feature, enable it and check the results.
- Reinstall Signal. If none of these potential solutions solved your problem, uninstall Signal and restart your phone. Then, launch the Google Play Store app and reinstall Signal.
Signal Calls Won’t Ring on iPhone
If your iPhone’s screen is locked, video calls will display a notification instead of ringing. To display notifications on the lock screen, go to iPhone Settings → Signal → Notifications → Alerts → select Lock Screen.
As Signal confirmed on GitHub, this is intended behavior. Video calls don’t ring as normal calls on iPhones due to iOS limitations. As a workaround, you can launch an audio call first, and then switch to video once the call is in progress.
If the issue persists, you can use the troubleshooting solutions we previously listed for Android.
If Signal calls won’t ring on Android or iOS, make sure to disable “Do Not Disturb” mode. Additionally, turn off your battery saver, and install the latest Signal app version on your terminal. If the issue persists, check your date and time settings, and clear the app cache. Did these tips help you troubleshoot the problem? Let us know in the comments below.
joseph Colaco says
No it did not help
When I open Notifications on my I phone, it does not look like what you show.
Cannot proceed. Joe Colaco 6/22/22
Go to settings, then network and internet, and then data saver. And then unrestricted data and enable signal app from that list. And that’s it.
Try these fixes and won’t fix the problem. On Android 11 on a stylus 2020.
Allen Yoder says
None of these fixes fixed the problem. Still won’t ring on incoming calls.
No mater what I do cannot make any calls on signal app. If I unisrall and reinstall I get one call then it shuts off can’t make any calls