The Dropbox Badge is a very useful tool that indicates who else is working on a shared Microsoft Office document. You can use the badge to check who’s viewing or editing that file, share it with other colleagues, check the file version history, undo recent actions, add comments and notes, and so on.
As you can see, the badge takes document collaboration to the next level. If the badge is not showing, you won’t be able to use the features mentioned above. Let’s dive in and check how you can troubleshoot this problem.
Fix: Dropbox Badge Is Missing in Office 365
Quick Checklist for the Dropbox Badge
There’s a series of requirements you need to meet for the Dropbox badge to work properly. We’ll list them below.
- You need to save the document you’re working on in your Dropbox folder.
- You then need to open the file using a Microsoft Office app.
- If Microsoft Office opens the file in Protected View, you need to enable the editing option.
- Additionally, you also need to download and install the Dropbox desktop app on your machine.
- Don’t run the Dropbox app in Compatibility mode, otherwise, the badge won’t be visible.
Keep in mind that if you link your personal Dropbox account to your Business account, the badge will only be visible on the files you saved in your Dropbox Business account.
Unlink and Relink Your Dropbox Account
A number of users solved this problem by rebuilding the configuration settings. More specifically, you need to unlink your Dropbox account from your computer and then link it back.
- Launch the Dropbox app and click on the drop-down menu next to your profile picture.
- Select Preferences.
- Then click the Account tab and hit the Unlink button.
- Enter your account details. Wait a few minutes until Dropbox re-indexes your Dropbox folder and syncs all the recent changes.
- Restart your computer, launch Dropbox again and check if the badge is visible now.
Update Dropbox and Office 365
Check if there’s a newer Dropbox version available. Do the same for Office 365 as well. Install the updates, restart your computer and check if the badge shows up.
- To update Office, open any Office app, and launch a new file.
- Then click on the File menu and select Account.
- Go to Update options and select Update Now.
To update your Dropbox app, download the latest app version from the Dropbox download page.
Adjust Bandwidth Settings
Try to customize the bandwidth settings so as to allow the app to use more bandwidth. Go to Preferences, click on Bandwidth, and set both the download and upload settings to Don’t limit.
Keep in mind that this action may significantly slow down your connection.
If the Dropbox badge is missing in Office 365, unlink your account from your computer and then link it back. Additionally, disable Protected View and Compatibility Mode for your Office app. Use the comments below and let us know if your Dropbox badge is visible now.