Cortana is a digital assistant developed by Microsoft, which is installed on the latest Xbox consoles and Windows 10 devices. Cortana is available for a wide range of platforms and Androids are included.
It is a misguided belief of many that Cortana is strictly limited to Microsoft in the same way that Siri is limited to IOS and Google Now is limited to Android. In reality, Cortana has been available for the past months on both Android and IOS.
Cortana has more features than Google Now, but you can smoothly merge them both and get the best experience.
How to Download Cortana on Android?
You can get Cortana in the Google Play Store and supplement your digital assistant. It is a straightforward process; it follows the usual pattern of downloading apps or games from the Google Play Store.
Locate your Play Store on your Android device, find Cortana, click on “Install” and it automatically loads onto your device.
After you have successfully downloaded and installed Cortana on your Android device, you need to set it up. Unlike Google Now and Siri, you must manually input the information you want Cortana to have about you.
This process is important because it helps Cortana know accurate details about you, such as things you enjoy, places you frequently visit, foods you prefer and so on. It allows Cortana to make suggestions based on these preferences.
How to set up Cortana as a Default Assistant on your Android?
After you have installed Cortana, a prompt will come up initially to select it as your default assistant. If you decide not to, you can rectify that later. Here is how;
- Open Cortana on your Android
- Swipe from the left side, so the menu can slide out, and tap on “Settings”
- Select “Set Cortana as Default Assistant”
How to set up Cortana on your Android?
- Open the Cortana app
- Sign in with your Microsoft ID
- You can open the sidebar by tapping 3 horizontal lines located at the top left
- Click on “About me”, and fill in the necessary details
- Follow all prompts that will come up
- Once you are done, tap on the save button
How to Sync your Calendar with Cortana?
- Open Cortana on your Android
- Click on Menu, and proceed to tap on settings
- You would see a “Manage skills” tab, then select connected services
- Select Outlook.com or even Office 365, and input your account details
Microsoft Cortana comes with a “Smart task suggestion” feature, to notify you of tasks you need to complete. To activate this feature, you need to be connected to your Office email or Outlook so, it can gain access to emails and bring up suggestions. To set this up is simple:
- Open Cortana and tap on the nine dots located at the bottom end
- Scroll to the side and tap “Suggested tasks”
- Click on connect email and proceed to log into your Office 365 mail account or Outlook account.
Pros & Cons of Modding Android
Android is probably the most versatile OS out there, both for mobile devices and PCs. While you can do pretty much everything with Android, there is a learning curve involved and some mods might cause your system to crash.
Before you mod your Android, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter, or that you know exactly what you are doing.
If you want to learn more about Android programing you can pick out The Big Nerd Ranch Guide by Bill Phillips that explains all of the ways that you can go about making applications or modding the existing ones.