After installing the wrong drivers for a Fujitsu scanner, I encountered a problem where I couldn’t install the correct drivers. When I attempted to install them, a message appeared that said “Scanner Utility for Microsoft Windows: Installation is not necessary, for it is already installed.” and the install would close. When attempting to uninstall the Scanner Utility for Windows, the uninstall would run, but never remove it from Programs and Features in the Windows Control Panel.
To get past this problem, I needed to remove some items from the registry. Here’s how it’s done:
- Hold the Windows Key and press “R” to bring up the Run box.
- Type “regedit“, then press “Enter“.
- On the left pane, select “Computer” at the top of the screen.
- Select “Edit” > “Find”.
- Type “Scanner Utility” in the “Find what” box, then check the “Keys“, “Values“, “Data“, and “Match whole string” only boxes.
- Select “Find“.
- The Registry Editor will search for any registry entries with the term “scanner utility“. When it finds anything that references “Scanner Utility for Microsoft Windows“, delete the entry.
- Once the Registry Editor cannot find anymore entries, close the registry editor and try to install the scanner again.
With these steps, you should successfully be able to uninstall the Scanner Utility for Microsoft Windows and proceed with the installation of your scanner.