Learn how to set your document so that a password is required to view or modify it with these steps.
- With the document you wish to password protect open, select “File” > “Info“.
- Select the “Protect Document” option (icon with a lock)
- Choose “Encrypt with password“.
- Type the password you wish to use, then select “OK“.
- Type the password again, then select “OK“.
Save the file in the docx format. It will then be password protected.
How do I remove the password from the file?
Open the file, type the required password, then go to “File” > “Info” > “Protect Document” > “Encrypt with password“, then simply remove the password and click “OK“. Be sure to save the file, and it will not require a password the next time it is opened.
My email system won’t allow me to send this file. What do I do?
Try to zip the file using Winzip or WinRAR, then send the zipped file via email.
I have set encryption, but when I open the document again, it isn’t prompting me for a password. Why?
You probably saved the file in a format that supports encryption like Rich Text Format (RTF). Save the file as “Word Document (*.docx)“.