Have you upgraded to a new iPhone? You may want to take your SMS text messages with you. The standard backup process in iTunes won’t do it for you. Here’s a workaround you can use to transfer them over.
Note: This process will not merge the messages on both phones. It will overwrite the database on the new phone.
- Connect your old iPhone to your computer. You may have to temporarily insert a SIM card into the old device. If this is not possible, skip to step 5.
- Select the icon for your iPhone in the upper-left corner of the iTunes window.
- Select “Summary“.
- In the “Backups” section, choose “This computer“, then select “Back Up Now“.
- Once the backup process finishes, open “File“/”Menu” > “Preferences…” > “Devices” and check “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically“.
- Close “iTunes“.
- Download and install iBackupBot to your computer. The free version will work just fine.
- Disconnect the old iPhone from the computer and connect the new one.
- Run “iBackupBot“
- Navigate to “System Files” > “HomeDomain” > “Library” > “SMS” > “sms.db“, then select the “Restore” button.
The iPhone will then go through a restore process and your SMS text messages should successfully be transferred to the new phone.