If you want iTunes for Microsoft Windows or Mac OSX to open every time you select a music file such as an MP3, WAV or MP4, you can set it as the default music player using these steps.
Windows 10, 7, 8 and Vista
- Select the Windows Orb, then select “Default Programs“. Windows 10 and 8 users can select Start, type “Default”, then select “Default Programs“.
- Select “Set your default programs“.
- Select “iTunes” on the left. If you want iTunes to open any file type it’s compatible with, you can click “Set the program as default“. If you want to specifically select file types, select “Choose defaults for this program“.
- Check the files you want iTunes to open. Click “Save” when you’re done.
- In iTunes, click “Edit“ > “Preferences“.
- Click the “Advanced” tab.
- Click the “General“tab that is located in the “Advanced“ section.
- Check the box for “Use iTunes as the default player for all audio files“. Click “OK“.
Mac OS X
- Navigate to a an MP3 file or other type of file iTunes supports.
- Control/Right click on the icon.
- Select “Get Info“.
- Select the “Name & Extension” dropdown menu.
- Select “Open With” and choose “iTunes“.
- Select “Change All“.
Now iTunes will open and play your music files by default.