Perform a soft or hard reset on the Verizon HTC Thunderbolt smartphone if you are experiencing problems with the device. A soft reset will simply restart the device if it is frozen. A hard reset (also known as a factory reset) will wipe all data from internal memory and set the phone back to factory default settings. Follow one of the options below.
Note: A soft reset will not wipe data from the device.
- Press and hold the “Power” button until the device powers off. This can take up to 30 seconds. After the device powers down, release “Power“, then attempt to power it on again.
Hard Reset Using Software Menus
Note: A hard reset will wipe data from the device.
- From the Home screen, open “Settings“.
- Select “SD card & phone storage“.
- Choose “Factory data reset“.
- Touch “Reset phone“.
- Select “Erase everything“.
Hard Reset Using Hardware Buttons
- Turn the phone off by pressing and holding the “Power” button for two seconds and selecting “Power off“.
- Press and hold the “Volume Down” button, then press and hold “Power“.
- Continue to hold both buttons until you see the Android logos appear on the screen.
- Press “Volume Down” to toggle to the “Factory Reset” option, and select it using the “Power” button.
The Thunderbolt will then hard reset and take a few minutes to complete.