I had a customer that just couldn’t get MDAC to work under XP. Reinstalling XP SP3 didn’t work. Microsoft doesn’t make anything available to reinstall MDAC individually. So it’s a complete nightmare to fix it. Luckily, I was able to solve the issue with these steps.
- Click “Start” > “Run” and type “%windir%\inf” and click “OK“.
- Right-click “mdac.inf” and select “Install“.
This is where the nightmare started for me. I didn’t have any of the files below. I had to copy the OLE DB, msadc, Ole DB and Binaries folders from another computer and place them in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ folder. If you are missing the servicepackfiles folder, you will have it after you reinstall XP Service Pack 3. You can also just extract the files from the SP3 file by using the windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe –x command.
- When prompted for each of the following files, try to browse and locate them in the directories specified.
- adcjavas.inc – C:\Windows\servicepackfiles\i386
- handler.reg – C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc
- MDACRdMe.htm – C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ado. I had to rename MDACReadme.htm to MDACRdMe.htm first.
- oledbjvs.inc – C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB
- mssoap1.dll – C:\Program Files\Common Files\MSSoap\Binaries
- mssoapr.dll – C:\Program Files\Common Files\MSSoap\Binaries
After all these steps, MDAC was working Windows Windows XP again.