If you experience problems with your Google Nexus 7 tablet, you can reset it with just a few simple steps.
A soft reset will reset your device if it has become frozen and is not responding to commands. Data will not be wiped from the device when performing a soft reset.
To perform a soft reset, simply press and hold the Power button until the screen shuts off. You should then be able to power on the device normally.
If you wish to clear all data off of your Nexus 7 and reset it to factory default settings, a hard reset will accomplish this for you.
From Android Settings
If you have access to the Settings section of the Nexus 7, simply go to Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset > Reset tablet > Erase everything.
Hard reset from startup
If the Nexus 7 will not start, you may need to perform these steps.
1. With the device powered off, press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power simultaneously.
2. When you see the Android guy laying on his back, let go of all three buttons.
3. Press Volume Down two times to select Recovery mode.
4. Press the Power button to choose the selection.
5. Another Android guy should appear on the screen. Press and hold Power, then press Volume Up.
6. Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to wipe data / factory reset.
7. Press the Power button to choose the selection.
8. Use the volume buttons to select Yes.
9. Press the Power button to choose the selection.
Be patient as the Nexus 7 completes the hard reset process. Once finished, you can restart the device and it will be set to factory default settings.