Now that you have a Motorola XOOM, you will most likely want to get to downloading and installing apps right away. If you’re new to the Android OS, it may take you a while to figure out how to do this since installing apps isn’t really like it is with other systems like your PC. Here are some options.
The XOOM comes with an app named Market. You can use it to search for and install apps.
1. Tap Apps, then select the Market app from the list.
2. Select Apps to browse, or tap the magnifying glass to search for an app.
3. Tap the app you wish to install.
4. Tap Free or Buy.
Note: You are allowed to try purchased apps for 24 hours. If you decide you don’t want the app, you can uninstall it and you won’t be charged.
5. Read the information the app will access. If it seems alright to you, tap OK. You may be prompted to enter credit card information if you haven’t bought an app from the market before.
Many websites like Android Zoom have barcodes available that you can scan, and it will download and install the app. Simply use a barcode scanner app on your XOOM and it will do the rest for you using the Android Market.
Android apps come in the form of APK files. Many websites may have them available for download individually.
Note: This method should probably only be used by techies or people who really know what they are doing. Installing APK files from some sites can compromise the security of your device. Use caution!
1. Open Settings.
2. Select Applications.
3. Check Unknown sources to allow the XOOM to install apps from outside of the Android Market.
4. Open Market and download and install Astro File Manager.
5. If you used your computer to download the APK file, mount the XOOM to your computer and copy the APK file to the device. If you used the Browser, the file should be saved to the XOOM’s SD card.
6. Open Astro File Manager.
7. Browse to the APK file location. Tap it and select Open App Manager.
8. Tap Install.
9. Tap Install again.