Some models of the Apple iPod will not allow you to access the device and listen to music while charging via a USB connection to a computer. Fortunately, there is a way. Ejecting the device will allow you to listen while charging.
Option 1 – Eject from iTunes
- Attach the iPod to your computer.
- In iTunes, select the device button and choose “Eject” next to the device.
Option 2 – Eject from OS
Windows 7 & 8
- If you’re like me and don’t have iTunes on your Windows computer, but would still like to do this trick anyway, you can do the following:
- Select the “Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media” icon in the Taskbar, located near the system time. You may have to select an arrow to reveal the icon.
- Choose the device you wish to eject in the list.
Mac OS X
- Select the iPod from the Finder.
- Choose “Eject“.
Alternately, you could drag the iPod to the Trash.
Once the device is ejected, you can just leave it plugged into the computer and continue listening to music while it charges.