With the constant changes to Apple’s mobile operating system, for some users, it appears that the “forward message” command has all but disappeared. We’ve seen a countless number of people ask others how the heck to find this option. I admit it: I had to look it up myself when asked to write this article. I have only ever forwarded a message once in the three years I’ve been using iPhones and it was long before the option to do so was moved to where it is now.
This short tutorial applies to both regular text messages and iMessages on the iPhone 6 – it works the same for both.
1. Open the Messaging app, then open the message thread you wish to forward.
2. Tap and hold the message bubble for about two seconds. A “More” button will appear that you can select.
3. Choose any other messages you would like to forward by checking the circle next to them. Once they are all selected, tap the arrow in the lower-right corner.
3. Type a contact name or phone number in the “To:” field. Finish the message by modifying it as you see fit, then tap “Send” when you’re ready to forward the message.
iOS 6 and below
1. With your messages open to the one you wish to forward, notice that there is an Edit button in the top-right corner of the screen. This is NOT just for deleting messages – nope! This is where Apple hid the magic from you.
2. You will now see little circles to the left of each individual message. Tap the circles next to any and all messages you wish to forward. You’ll notice that the message itself – along with the options at the bottom – are now highlighted. Tap on the Forward button.
3. The new message screen will open, allowing you to select recipients. You can manually type in a phone number, start typing a name and let iOS help you choose your target or click the + sign to the right to open your Contacts list.
As soon as you finish selecting your recipient(s), you’re ready to send the message back into cyberspace. Notice, also, that you’ll have all of the “normal” options – just like when you compose a brand-new message. You can add a photograph, edit the message you’re forwarding and even add something to it.
That’s all there is to it! Happy texting!
Why is the forwarding arrow missing from my iPhone?
You need to register an email address or phone number with iMessage to enable forwarding under “Settings” > “Messages” > “Send & Receive“. Some users will need to enable forwarding by going to “Settings” > “Messages” > “Text Message Forwarding“. Then turn on forwarding for your device(s).