Deleting email messages from the iPhone Mail app can be tough for users to figure out. Once you learn how though, it’s simple. Here’s everything you need to know.
To delete a single message
1. From a list of messages, swipe your finger across the email you wish to delete.
2. Touch the Delete button. If you’re using Gmail, this button will be labeled Archive.
If you archive an item on Gmail, it is only visible in the All Mail folder. It does not go to the trash.
To delete multiple messages
1. From a list of messages, select the Edit button in the upper-right corner.
2. Tap the check circle next to the messages you wish to remove.
3. Tap the Delete button in the lower-left part of the screen.
Permanently delete email
If you want email gone for good, you’ll have to delete the item from the Trash. For Gmail you will first have to delete the message from the All Mail folder. It will then go to the Trash folder, where you can permanently delete it.
Rescue items from the Trash
After you delete an email, it goes into the Trash. If you decide that you need the item after all, you can bring it back by following these steps:
1. Navigate to the Mailbox screen and select the account under the Accounts section.
2. Select the Trash folder. Select All Mail if it’s a Gmail account.
3. Tap the Edit button.
4. Check the item(s) you wish to rescue.
5. Tap the Move button in the lower-right corner.
6. Select the folder you wish to move the email message back to.
The email is then moved out of the Trash or All Mail folder back to the folder you selected.
That covers about everything there is to know about deleting email messages on the iPhone. If you have questions or comments, please leave them below in the Comments section.