Whether you’ve forgotten the password to your Apple iPhone 5 or somehow a lock has appeared on the center of the screen and you can’t get past it, you’ll have to reset and restore the device. A common thing that happens is a person will leave their iPhone 5 unattended, and as a joke, somebody will set a screen password on it. This can sometimes result in the user being permanently locked out of the device. Follow these steps to get it working again.
Note: This process will wipe all data from your iPhone 5. You may be able to sync most of the data back once you have restored it.
1. With the iPhone 5 disconnected from your computer, power it off. Press and hold the Power button on the top of the device for a few seconds, then slide the red slider. If this method doesn’t work, press and hold the Power and Home buttons for a few seconds until it goes off.
2. With the iPhone 5 off, press and hold the Home button while connecting it to the computer you registered it from. It should then power on.
3. Keep holding the Home button until you see a Connected to iTunes message appear on the screen.
4. Open iTunes and it should provide a message about an iPhone connected in Recovery Mode.
5. In iTunes, select the Summary tab and click Restore and follow the prompts.
When the process is finished, your iPhone 5 should be available again without the need for a password.