Whether you’ve forgotten the password to your Apple iPhone or iPad or somehow a lock has appeared on the center of the screen and you can’t get past it, you’ll have to reset and restore the device. A common thing that happens is a person will leave their device unattended, and as a joke, somebody will set a screen password on it. This can sometimes result in the user being permanently locked out of the device. Follow these steps to get it working again.
Note: This process will wipe all data from your iOS device. You may be able to sync most of the data back once you have restored it. You can perform these steps using any PC with iTunes installed even if you have not synced the device with the PC before.
- With the iPhone or iPad disconnected from your computer, power it off. Press and hold the “Power” button on the top of the device for a few seconds, then slide the red slider. If this method doesn’t work, press and hold the “Power” and “Home” buttons for a few seconds until it goes off.
- With the device powered off, connect the device into your PC that has iTunes installed while holding the “Home” button. It should then power on.
- Keep holding the “Home” button until you see a “Connected to iTunes” message appear on the screen.
- Open iTunes and it should provide a message that your device is connected in Recovery Mode.
- In iTunes, select your device, then select “Summary” and click “Restore” and follow the prompts.
When the process is finished, your iPhone or iPad should be available again without the need for a password.