If your Apple iPad isn’t showing up in iTunes, here are the most common things to check:
1. System Requirements – If you’ve ever synced an iPod or iPhone then you will know about these. The computer you’re syncing to must have iTunes version 9.1 or later, must support USB 2.0, and the Operating System must be Mac OS X (10.5.8 or later), Windows XP (with Service Pack 3), Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
2. USB Connection – A common issue with iTunes is that you generally can’t have your device connected before you start iTunes. Disconnect your iPad from your computer and reconnect it. If that doesn’t work, try a different USB port, or possibly a different USB cable.
3. Charge your iPad – If your iPad has a low or dead battery, then it won’t show up in iTunes until it has a little bit of a charge. Charge the iPad for 10 minutes or so, then try to connect it again.
4. Restart your iPad – To restart the iPad, hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears, then slide your finger on the slider to turn it off. Turn it back on by holding the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
5. Restart your computer – Restarting your computer can resolve any software/hardware issues that might be keeping your iPad from showing up in iTunes, and is always worth a shot.
6. Reinstall iTunes – If all else fails, try removing iTunes and reinstalling it.