You may need to close apps on the Apple iPhone or iPad whenever it has become frozen and unresponsive. Closing an app will kill the application immediately allowing you to try using it again. Current data in the app may be lost when you perform these steps, but it’s often the only thing left to do.
iOS 7 and Higher
- Press the “Home” button twice rapidly. A list of running apps should appear. Swipe left and right to find the app you wish to close.
- Swipe the app you wish to close upward to flick it off the screen.
The app will then be closed.
Tip: You can use two or three fingers to swipe multiple apps off the screen to close them.
iOS6 and Lower
- Press the “Home” button once to go to the Home screen.
- Press the “Home” button twice rapidly.
- A list of apps that are currently running will appear at the bottom of the screen. Swipe left or right along the bottom until you see the app you wish to close.
- Tap and hold any app until you see a red icon appear.
- Tap the red icon on the app you wish to close.
You have successfully learned how to close apps on the Apple iPad.
My app is not responding to anything I do. Do you have any other suggestions?
You may have to force a reset of the entire device. This can be done by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake/Power button on the top of the device along with the Home button until it resets. This can take anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds.