How do you install APK files from other places outside of the Google Play app to your Android device? We’ve got the steps for you.
From the Device
- Enable installation of APK files by enabling “Unknown sources”. Use one of these steps to enable the option depending on your device:
- “Settings” > “Applications” > “Unknown sources“.
- “Settings” > “General” > “Security” > “Unknown sources“.
- Download the APK file to the device, or copy it via a USB connection.
- Open a file explorer app. Your device may have one built in. They are usually called “File Manager” or “My Files“. If you don’t have one, you can download “ES File Explorer” from Google Play.
- Navigate to the file and open it. You will be prompted to proceed with the installation
From ADB Command Line
Use one of these commands as desired.
- “adb install appname.apk” = Standard install
- “adb install -r appname.apk” = Reinstall
- “adb install -s appname.apk” = Install to SD Card
- “adb uninstall appname.apk” = Uninstall