If your Apple iPad Mini is locked up and having issues that a soft or hard reset doesn’t seem to fix, then you may need to do a factory reset on the device to get it functioning again.
A factory reset will essentially wipe the iPad Mini of all data and put it back to “out of the package” status.
You’ll also want to do these steps if you just plan to sell the device, that way none of your personal information is left on the device for others to see.
Factory Reset iPad Mini From Device
- From the Home screen, navigate to “Settings” > “General” > “Reset“.
- Tap the button labeled “Erase All Content and Settings“.
- A box will pop up to confirm, so press the “Erase” button.
- The device will restart, and when it turns back on the device will be back to factory settings and data.
Factory Reset iPad Mini From iTunes
- On the iPad, look under “Settings” > “iCloud” and ensure that “Find My iPad” is set to “Off“.
- Connect the iPad Mini to your computer and launch iTunes.
- Select the device icon, located toward the upper-left corner of the iTunes window.
- Select the “Summary” option on the left pane.
- Choose the “Restore iPad…” button.
- Choose whether you want to “Back Up” or “Don’t Back Up” your device.
- Select “Restore“.
- The iPad will then be restored. Once completed, you will have the option to “Set Up as New iPad” or “Restore From a Backup“.
Why is my “Restore iPad” button grayed out?
A sync or download may be in progress. Wait for the sync or download to finish, then see if the button lights up.