You can enable, disable or change notification settings for messages you receive in Hangout for Android. Just follow these steps.
- Open the “Hangouts” app.
- From the screen where you have your list of friends, tap the “Menu” button, located at the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Tap “Settings“.
- Choose the account you are using.
- In the “Notifications” section, select the “Hangouts messages & invites” option.
- From this screen, you have a few options:
- Notifications – Controls whether you receive a notification at all. Uncheck this box if you don’t want any type of notification including sound or a message in the notification bar. Check it if you’ll be using some type of notification.
- Sound – Set a custom ringtone or silence the notification sound.
- Vibrate – Device will vibrate when a message arrives.
Be aware of the settings in the “Video Calls” section as well. You’ll have the same Notifications, Sound and Vibrate options as above for video calls.