I had no idea that Gmail had a feature that enabled you to send an auto response to people to let them know you were out of the office or on vacation.
1. Login to your Gmail account and select the Gear in the upper-right corner, then select Settings.
2. Under the General tab, scroll down and find the area labeled Vacation responder.
3. Check Vacation responder on.
4. Type your auto response message.
5. Be sure to click Save Changes at the bottom of the page and you have completed setting up your Gmail out of office reply.