A friend of mine had an issue with her iPod Touch not being detected by her Windows computer. She would plug it in, but nothing would happen. Here’s what we did to solve the issue.
1. Go to the Device Manager. (In XP, right-click on My Computer then go to Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.)
2. Look for a device listed as Apple iPod USB Driver or Apple iPod USB Device. Right-click on it and select Properties.
3. Click the Update Driver… option under the Driver tab.
4. Select Install from a list of specific location (Advanced). Click Next.
5. Select Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install. Click Next.
6. Select Have Disk…
7. In the Copy manufacturer’s files from box, type C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or browse to that location. Click OK.
8. Click OK again. Hopefully the driver is installed correctly. Try to see if your iPod Touch is detected now. I’m hoping these steps worked!